Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we’ve committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do “random questions,” so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don’t have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today’s meme!
Saturday 9: Careless Whisper (1984)
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) You can’t miss George Michael’s gold hoops in the photo above or in the “Careless Whisper” video. Are you wearing any jewelry right now?
Yes, my wedding ring. I also like hoop earrings 🙂
2) Though the label says this hit is performed by “Wham!” featuring George Michael,” George Michael is the only member of the pop duo who appears in the video. Do you remember the name of the other guy who was in Wham?
I cannot remember the other half of “Wham!” but I do remember, back in grade school in the 80s, they were very popular! My older cousins could not stop playing and singing along Careless Whisper. There’s even a lovely version of this song by the PostModernJukebox which I really, really love.
3) Much of the video was filmed on Watson Island, a man-made island near South Beach. Have you ever been to Miami?
4) Born Georgios Panayiotou, George Michael is of Greek descent, the son of the Greek restauranteur in East London. When you think of Greek cuisine, what comes to mind?
Gyros, moussakka, and of course, Greek salad! Yum.
5) Today he lives in a tony suburb called Highgate, and his neighbors are Kate Moss and Sting. Tell us about one of your neighbors.
My neighbour is a judge at the provincial trial court here in Cambodia. He and his family are lovely and are friendly with us. I realised we were living next to a court official the moment I heard him command “SILENCE” to my barking dogs, lol. Yes, he did say it in English as he knows my dogs respond to English commands.
6) George Michael fans can purchase officially licensed merchandise from his website, including an iPhone cover with his photo and signature. Tell us about your cell phone. Is it Apple or Android? Is it a smartphone?
My phone is not a smartphone. It’s an old Nokia N70 handphone. It has also a camera and is connected to the Internet via GPRS. I use it mainly for texting and calling and it serves the purpose so I don’t see the need for me to jump into the smartphone bandwagon yet. But if I do, I prefer an Android phone, a Samsung.
7) George Michael sang Stevie Wonder’s “You and I” for Prince William’s wedding to Kate Middleton. What’s your favorite love song?
“The Nearness of You”, by Jo Stafford. I love Jo Stafford’s version – simple, sublime, romantic and timeless. No fancy-schmanzy accompaniments, just the silky voice, lovely melody, and meaningful lyrics to carry on the song.
8) In 2014, George had a health scare. He was rushed to the hospital for tests and released the next day. Have you ever ridden in an ambulance?
No, not really. But back in my cub reporting years, we were tailing ambulances during night shifts as I was assigned in the police beat section. It wasn’t a pleasant experience, honestly, but in order for me to learn the ropes of reporting, I had to undergo this part of the internship.
9) Known for hard partying in his youth, George is now in his 50s and says he’s quite happy to spend his evenings eating takeout and watching DVDs. Are you doing any socializing this weekend?
Yes, we’re going to a viewing party – as you might have heard about it, the Pacquiao-Mayweather Fight of the Century will be broadcast live tomorrow, 9am Cambodia time. That would be tonight in Las Vegas. Expats and Cambodians alike will be glued to their tellies tomorrow as I know Cambodians and some expats are Pacquiao-fans. A friend is hosting the party and we are going. Should be fun, no matter what the result will be. Of course, I would love Manny Pacquiao to win!