Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we’ve committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do “random questions,” so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don’t have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today’s meme!
Saturday 9: Come Monday
Thanks to AuntieM4Cabs for recommending the Buffett theme
1) What will you be doing come Monday (Labor Day)?
Work as usual. Not a holiday here in Cambodia.
2) This song is about a performer who is “heading up to San Francisco for the Labor Day weekend show.” When you think of San Francisco, what’s the first thing that comes to mind?
Apart from the San Francisco Bridge, the Haight-Ashbury hippies, Lombard Street and Nob Hill also come to mind.
3) As he sings, Buffett tells us he’s wearing Hush Puppies casual shoes. What’s on your feet as you answer these nine questions?
4) So many Jimmy Buffett songs take place on or around the water. When was the last time you were on a boat?
Two-three years ago. We had some friends visiting in the country for the first time and we took tem on a cruise of the Mekong river.
5) Everyone knows Jimmy Buffett can write music, but he also has more than half a dozen books to his credit. What’s the last book you read?
I recently re-read the Life of Pi by Yann Martel after watching the movie.
6) Jimmy’s persona is that of a simple beach bum, but in reality he’s a conglomerate, with his own beverage company, more than a dozen restaurants and a couple hotels. He’s so successful he has several homes, including a luxury mansion in the Hamptons! If you, like Buffett, could just take off and spend Labor Day weekend anywhere, where would you go? Who would you take along?
To the exotic Cartagena, on the northern coast of Colombia, with my husband and close family members!
7) This weekend may offer a golden opportunity for napping and sleeping in. Do you snore?
I’m afraid yes, particularly after a very exhausting day.
8) Labor Day was introduced to celebrate the achievements of the American worker. Yet this Recession has taken its toll on many of us laborers. Sam’s brother, a movie projectionist, hasn’t worked full-time in his chosen profession in more than a year. Is anyone close to you struggling with unemployment or underemployment? (If so, they are in our thoughts this weekend, too.)
Yes, my brother and some close friends are in that category right now. Really hoping that the situation gets better real soon.
9) Onto something happier … Labor Day traditionally marks the beginning of the new school year. When she was a kid, Samantha was crazy for her brand new box of 96 Crayola Crayons. It even had a sharpener in the back! What do you remember about preparing to go back to school? If you’re a parent with schoolage kids, are they ready?
When we were merely school-aged kids, my mother would collect from us the lists of things we need in school (teachers give this during enrolment) and take us shopping. Being the girls in the brood, my sisters and I look forward to pink Hello Kitty bags and matching umbrellas, pencil cases, lunch boxes, etc. Hello Kitty was the “in” thing before at that time.